Sunday, June 9, 2013

Gaithersburg Giants Win First Ripken League Game in Franchise History, Defeat Aces 6-5 in 10 Innings

by John Vittas

The Gaithersburg Giants beat the Alexandria Aces 6-5 in extra innings to earn their first ever Cal Ripken League victory Sunday.

"I'm real excited that we got the win," right fielder Joe Dorsey said. "It was the home opener at a new stadium, there was a good amount of people here, I liked it. Real impressed."

Dorsey took a ball off the shoulder with the bases loaded to win the game in the tenth against Aces' reliever Tyler Fries.

"I was just looking for a pitch that I could drive or put it in the air possibly for a sac fly. He put it inside and I just stood there," said Dorsey.

Kyle Colgain started the game for Gaithersburg, striking out seven over six innings. Colgain only gave up one earned run and didn't walk a batter. He pitched out of a bases loaded, no out jam in the first and stranded seven Aces in the game.

"I wasn't into getting jams on purpose but it seemed to work out tonight," Colgain joked. "The warm weather's helping my arm because my fastball felt good."

Giants' first baseman Brandon Grove was the offensive star, pounding two doubles to drive in three runs. The second double drove in two to give the Giants a 5-3 lead in the seventh inning.

"It was a first pitch fastball against the new pitcher so I was just looking for my pitch and it was right down the middle," Grove said. "I thought I hit it out but I guess I didn't get enough. But it got two runs in and it felt good."

The win was the first of the season for the Giants, who improve to 1-1 after falling to Bethesda Saturday. It's Gaithersburg's first season in the Ripken League, so Sunday marks their first win in league history as well as the first win at their new home park, Criswell Automotive Field.

"We're right there with every team so far, competing well," Colgain added. "The fielding and pitching was good and we definitely got some big hits. It's always good to get a walk off."

The Giants return to Criswell Automotive Field Monday to host a doubleheader with the Rockville Express. First pitch is scheduled for 2 p.m. and the second game will begin shortly after the conclusion of the first.


To hear, the broadcast of Sunday's game, click here

To hear John Vittas' interview with Colgain, Grove, Dorsey and winning pitcher Robin Mowatt, click here


No comments:

Post a Comment