Monday, June 17, 2013

Boyle, Big Train Slow Down Giants

by John Vittas

Michael Boyle went six shutout innings as the Bethesda Big Train shut out the Gaithersburg Giants, 3-0 Monday at Povich Field, ending the Giants' four-game winning streak.

Boyle only allowed four hits and one walk, while striking out five.

"I was working the fastball in towards the end and they were taking it for strikes," Boyle said. "Then I would dump a little changeup in there to keep them off-balanced.

Boyle did not allow a single extra base hit, as the Giants couldn't advance a runner past second against him.

"Tucker [Tobin, the catcher] and I were on the same page from the first pitch. It gave me confidence on the mound to work inside and outside."

Kyle Wernicki delivered the big blow for the Big Train. With one out and two on base in the third, he pulled a double against Giants starter Kyle Colgain.

"The at bat before I stuck out on and inside fastball and I figured they would be coming back for it," Wernicki said. "First pitch, fastball in, I just saw it and hit it."

The Bethesda pitching staff has allowed four runs or fewer in six of their eight games this season.

"Every game they come out and shut down the other team, it's a great luxury to have," said Wernicki, a right fielder.

With the win, the Big Train improves to 6-2 and gains sole possession of first place in the Ripken League.

"It feels great," Boyle said. "I definitely enjoy pitching at home, it's my first time all year. Hopefully we can continue the success down the road."

The Big Train hosts the Vienna RiverDogs on Tuesday, as the Giants head to Silver Spring for a makeup game with the T-Bolts.





No comments:

Post a Comment